Friday, August 27, 2010

Cheyenne Wyoming

http://www.terrybisonranch.com/index.html

We are staying overnight at the Terry Bison Ranch near Cheyenne. They of course have a herd of bison as well as camels, horses and goats.

Here is a good shot of a couple of the bison rolling around in the dirt. They roll or "wallow" in the dirt to remove biting flies and also to remove tufts of molted hair. During the rut male bison will wallow to show off their strength.
http://www.nps.gov/yell/naturescience/bisonqa.htm


The ranch used to have camels that they allowed people to ride but not any longer. I guess I will have to wait until we visit the Middle East to try my hand at that. These two are dromendary or Arabian camels as they only have one hump.

Although we were told that camels can be mean and "spit" at people, which is said to smell worse than skunk spray, I had no problem with these two. They even let me pet their noses a bit.
Here are my favorites -- the goats! They had about 8 or 10 of them. When we first approached the fenced in area one of them came running out of the run down barn and came up to be petted just like a dog.


















http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheyenne,_Wyoming

Cheyenne is the capital and largest city in Wyoming. For a state capital it is very small, with a population of just over 50,000. But then again, much of Wyoming is a whole lot of nothing.....in a good way in my opinion.


The Cheyenne Depot Museum Foundation has a fund raiser that makes custom 8 foot high boots for anyone who would like them. There are several different styles of boots around the town, mostly in the downtown area. 
Cheyenne is the corporate headquarters for companies such as Taco John's and Sierra Trading Post as well as having large distribution centers for Lowe's and Walmart. It is also a leading center for alternative energy, especially wind energy as it is one of the windiest cities in the country -- sorry Chicago!

Cheyenne Frontier Days, which is held the first week of July, is the largest outdoor rodeo in the country. This year's concerts included acts all the way from Kiss to Brooks and Dunn and Alan Jackson.  The most well known former resident is sportscaster Curt Gowdy who has a nearby state park named after him.

And in ending a little something from the great George Strait.

She said don't bother comin' home
By the time you get here I'll be long gone
There's somebody new and he sure ain't no rodeo man
He said, I'm sorry it's come down to this
There's so much about you that I'm gonna miss
But it's alright baby
If I hurry I can still make Cheyenne
Gotta go now baby
If I hurry I can still make Cheyenne





No comments:

Post a Comment